Languages Other Than English
The learning of Languages Other Than English (LOTE) aids both the social and cognitive development of students. At Torrens Primary School, Mandarin is the chosen mandatory LOTE. The Mandarin program offers a range of spoken and written language and cultural experiences to students. Mandarin is taught to all students of Year 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Under the guidelines of the ACT Primary P - 6 Chinese Language Curriculum, students will be taught both language skills and cultural knowledge.
There are 17 topics involved in the language skills learning area:
- Main food
- Classroom instructions
- Classroom language
- Being polite
- Weather and Chinese Pronunciation System (Pin Yin).
There are also 17 topics of Chinese Culture that will be introduced to our students:
- Chinese Acrobatics & Chinese Lion Dance
- Chinese Cuisine & Chinese Tea
- Chinese Dances Nuo Dance & Yange Dance
- Chinese Embroidery & Chinese Silk
- Chinese Figures & Chinese Pottery and Porcelain
- Chinese Folk Music & Chinese Folk Songs
- Chinese Paper-cuts & Chinese Kites
- Chinese Peking Opera & Chinese Traditional Painting
- Chinese Puppets & Chinese Leather Silhouette Show
- Traditional Chinese Medicine & Chinese Wushu
- Chinese Festivals: Double Ninth Festival
- Dragon Boat Festival
- Festivals of Ethnical Minorities
- Lantern Festival
- Mid-Autumn (Moon) Festival
- Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) and Qing Ming Festival (Tomb-Sweeping Day).