Torrens Primary School provides a purposeful, productive and comprehensive education of the highest quality, working in partnership with the school community. The school aims to provide quality experiences that empower students to live in, and contribute to, a changing society. Torrens strives to develop in students, the ability to work as members of a team in cooperative learning environments, and to appreciate the worth of individual differences, with the capacity to act as responsible, independent citizens who care about themselves and their environment.
Torrens Primary School, while valuing elements of traditional educational approaches, recognises the need to incorporate current advances in curriculum development, teaching and learning styles and strategies and educational resources in order to develop quality educational programs to meet the needs of our students in a constantly changing world.
Aim and Objectives
To promote social competence in students by:
- Giving them a broad understanding of how society works (for example, culture, sub-cultures, commerce and institutions);
- Engendering an appreciation of the views and worth of others;
- Making them aware of their own role, rights and responsibilities, as summed up in the school motto, "Team work and Tolerance".
To develop basic life skills among students:
- Research methods;
- Ways of helping to achieve physical and mental health.
To encourage positive attitudes to learning by:
- Making children and teachers aware that learning is a lifetime process;
- Motivating the desire to learn;
- Encouraging students to think;
- Teaching thinking skills by posing meaningful real life problems;
- Catering for students' interests beyond basic skills.
To maximise students' individual achievements by:
- Promoting self-esteem;
- Identifying and developing talents and interests;
- Motivating students to achieve their full potential;
- Emphasising individual responsibility and self discipline;
- Striving for excellence in all endeavours.
To provide an atmosphere and procedures within the school to help achieve other aims including:
- Cooperation and consultation between all members of the school community;
- A caring and happy environment;
- Parent participation in educational and social activities;
- Catering for students' individual differences;
- Encouraging teachers to develop their professional skills.