CO-VID19 - school events impacted
CO-VID19 - school events impacted
Further to the latest school communication (16/3/2020) shown below, we have been advised that Royal Life Saving (RLS) ACT has now cancelled its Swim & Survive and Aquasafe Swim Programs for this term.
Please do not register and pay for your child's lessons if you have not already done so.
Information regarding credits and rescheduling will be passed on from RLS ACT when it comes to hand.
The following information regarding cancellation of up coming school events was issued yesterday (16/3/20):
Good Afternoon Torrens Primary Community,
As you would be aware, events are moving swiftly in relation to government responses aimed at limiting the potential spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Cancellation of school events and excursions
The Council of Australian Governments has received advice from Chief Health Officers to suspend non-essential gatherings of more than 500 people from today (Monday 16 March). Yesterday, following a meeting of the National Cabinet, the Australian Government announced that all organised, non-essential mass gatherings attended by more than 500 people must be cancelled from Monday 16 March 2020. This announcement does not recommend school closures however, it does apply to a range of schools events and events organised by school communities.
Acting consistently with the coordinated national response, local and interstate school excursions, including camps, will also need to be cancelled, postponed or rescheduled - effective from today.Please read the attached letter for more detail regarding these Government decisions and where you can receive the latest Government Health Advice updates.
Specifically, the following events at Torrens Primary School are impacted:
- ‘Gwenda Stanley’s Sharing Culture’ event at Melrose HS this Wednesday 18 March – cancelled
- Netball gala days, scheduled for next Wednesday 25 March and Friday 3 April – cancelled
- Rescheduled Rugby League 7’s Carnival – cancelled
- Harmony Day Assembly and Multicultural Feast scheduled for Friday 27 March – postponed with rescheduling to be advised
- Year 6 Australian Democracy Excursion on Friday, 3 April – cancelled
- Regional Swimming Carnival ACT – cancelled
- Whole of school assemblies – suspended until further notice
- learning journeys, which would normally take place in week 10 of Term 1 – cancelled
- Royal Life Saving ACT Kindy to Year 3 Swim & Survive and Aquasafe swimming programs scheduled for 30 March to 9 April – to be advised
- Year 5 Camp – 27-29 May 2020 – to be advised
- Year 3 Camp – 18-19 June 2020 – to be advised
- Year 4 Camp – 24-26 June 2020 – to be advised
We understand that this will cause some disruption and inconvenience but the safety of our staff and students remains our paramount concern. These measures are all precautionary to support slowing the rate of infection not because schools are at increased risk. Any monies receipted for excursions and outings which have been cancelled can be held in credit here at school until further notice.
Health and hygiene
Practising good hand and general hygiene is the best defence against the spread of the virus.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol based hand sanitiser if your hands are not visibly dirty. Do this before handling food, before eating, as well as after using the toilet. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with others.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow or directly into a tissue and throw the tissue in a bin.
Unfortunately Torrens Primary School is unable to find a stockist of hand soap for our school bathrooms at present. We certainly have enough supply for the rest of this week and will continue to try and source stocks in the meantime.
I ask that students be kept home if they are ill as a general rule.
Frequently asked questions
More information is available to you on the COVID-19 link at the top of our website homepage.